- Namibia through the Ministry of Health and Social Services has been providing Antiretroviral drugs (ARVs) and has made great strides.
- Namibia has a 67% ART coverage for adults and 95% ART coverage for children
- ART is used by people who are infected with HIV to prevent the virus from overwhelming the immune system and thereby granting the infected person an opportunity to live a prolonged and productive life.
- HIV treatment requires adherence to life-long therapy with consistent, fully-suppressive dosing.
- ART is taken by HIV-infected persons who may have symptoms to remain healthy and prevent onward transmission.
Since July 2017 NAPPA has started to provide ART services focusing on adolescents and young people and in its Youth Friendly Clinics. The program will be gradually rolled out starting with the Windhoek, Walvis Bay, Rundu and Katima Cinics. The other clinics would be targeted to start in 2018.